Recently, I have discovered a love of oatmeal. I use Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats (gluten free, of course). This is now my breakfast most mornings, having replaced my normal Rice Chex cereal. Oatmeal and fruit. I am obsessed. Oats are also so yummy plain, by themselves, as well as toasted (as I discovered in making this recipe). With my new love of oats came a desire to find one or two new recipes using them. One thing that kept popping up with every search was granola bars and foods related. One that caught my eye was no bakes. All of those search items inspired me to make these simple snacks. Easy, quick, tasty. These are my no bake energy bites, no bakes for short.
Also, in the picture above, you will notice a lot of excess at the bottom of the bowl…this was due to the fact that I accidentally added an extra 1/4 cup of oats. But they still turned out great!
Makes about 10-14 balls.
- 1/2 cup dry oats (make sure they are gluten free)
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut flakes*
- 1/4 cup, 1 tbsp almond butter (can use peanut butter as well)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (if unavailable, you can toast and grind additional oats)
- 2 1/2 tbsp honey
- chocolate chips
- dried fruit/berries
- chopped nuts/seeds (almonds, pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds)
- a little vanilla
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. If the mix is too dry, add more peanut butter or honey.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 20-25 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- After you have rolled them into balls, put them back in the fridge for 10-20 more minutes for maximum deliciousness.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week (in an airtight container-I put them in a ziplock).
*Watch the coconut flakes as they toast because they can burn easily.