This is a healthy, delicious, and super easy recipes I whipped together the other night, just to try something new. I will be honest, I don’t love spinach on its own. I even sort of dislike it in salads. But cooked with other delicious ingredients? Stir Fried? Yum. I will eat all the spinach! I discovered that it taste so delicious with some portabellas especially. It made me think about making a whole new recipe with spinach and mushrooms…maybe some cooked spinach on top of a large portabella mushroom cap, topped with mozzarella cheese? Now that is something I will look into! Another recipe idea that this recipe made me think of is a spinach casserole, or a breakfast spinach casserole (with spinach, eggs, cheese, and whatever else I decide when I make it) or quiche. These are two recipes that I am definitely interested in making!
This recipe was just me throwing a bunch of ingredients together that I thought would taste good together, and the measurements may not be totally exact. But you can honestly just add however much of the ingredients you want (Just have mostly spinach and mushrooms, closely followed by chicken, and the less pepper than the other ingredients). For the mushrooms, you can use baby portabellas or large ones, just make sure you cut them up. For the chicken, I use about 2 inch pieces, precooked, so I just have to heat it up with the rest of the ingredients. If you are using raw chicken, however, you probably need to precook it. As for the pepper, I use anywhere from 1/2 to 1 pepper.
Along with the stir fry, I cooked some rice as well, because it completes the whole stir fry meal. This is such a delicious meal! The gluten free stir fry makes 3-4 servings. You can serve it over rice, or with the rice as a side, as I like to do. Lastly, you may be looking at these pictures and think something is missing…well you are right. I was out of red pepper when I made this, but (this is the second time I have made this recipe) the last time I made this recipe I loved the pepper, and I was mad that I was out. Oh well, it was still delicious gluten free stir fry!
NOTE: This can be made vegetarian by ommiting the chicken. You can replace it with more mushrooms or a different variety of veggies. I really want to try adding some squash and/or zucchini next time I make this. Then it really will be vegetarian and gluten free stir fry.
(I apologize for the terrible photo quality – these were taken from my cell phone because my camera was missing…yikes!)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (gluten free)
- 10 ounces uncooked spinach
- 1 container (about 4 cups) portabella mushrooms
- 1 red pepper (or any color), sliced
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken
- Prepare a large frying pan on the stove top by covering/greasing with 3-4 tbsp olive oil.
- Turn stove on to medium-high heat and preheat pan (about 2-5 minutes)
- Add mushrooms, pepper, and chicken and then the spinach on top. Add Worcestershire Sauce evenly and stir ingredients around a bit.
- Cover and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to medium and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately for best results.
- Pesto, Chicken, and Portabella Pasta (deliciousgf.wordpress.com)