I am a salty person, as opposed to a sweet one. Before gluten free, biscuits were one of my favorite treats, and when I began looking for a great first recipe to try, I knew I wanted to taste the rich bread again. So I searched the internet, trying to find a simple, easy recipe I could replicate. Then I discovered Pamela’s. It was popular and stocked in my grocery store – Martin’s. I picked up a package, hoping that it would be the answer.
I was in no way disappointed. The recipe calls for shortening, but I replaced it with butter, an easier, healthier option. Pamela’s drop biscuit recipe makes about 6 biscuits and uses only three easy ingredients. They are Pamela’s pancake and baking mix, milk, and butter.
I could hardly wait to make them once I had the mix. I didn’t even tell anyone about my sudden interest in cooking. I simply did it. So, after about 20 minutes (cutting the butter into the mix definitely takes more time than shortening, but I think it’s worth it), I had my first complete and edible gluten free food that I had baked myself. And they were delicious. I saved some for my family, who all couldn’t believe I had made them. I was so elated.
I have made these once more since, and sprinkled shredded cheese on top of some, which was quite tasty. I would recomend it! So, the official list of ingredients and preparations…
- 1 cup Pamela’s Pancake and Baking Mix
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/3 cup 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Cut in butter (w/ mix) w/ a fork/knife until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (I melt the butter and add; if you do this, the mix may be a tad bit more liquidy, so just stir a little longer))
- Pour in milk while stirring w/ fork (do NOT let mixture sit)
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet (I sprinkle cheese on top of one or two)
- Bake 12 minutes, or until brown on top
This is definitely something I will make a lot! ( I will post a picture next time I make them)
- Pictures: Pamela’s Biscuits (deliciousgf.wordpress.com)
- MORE biscuits…Using GF Bisquick (deliciousgf.wordpress.com)
- PERFECT Pamela’s Pancakes (deliciousgf.wordpress.com)